• Portsmouth vs Gosport & Fareham, Saturday 20th April, Papa John Cup – 2nd round

    This is the third meeting this season between these two teams. At present it stands at 1 victory each (League matches) so the winner of this Cup match will have the bragging rights. The squad Portsmouth put out today contains several Colts, among which is this year’s Captain and fly half Hywel Gronow. His father is Matt Gronow, former 1st XV winger and prolific try scorer remembered best by the older Club members.

    Portsmouth got the game underway and Gosport soon set out their intentions with a series of attacks on the Portsmouth try line. However good defence kept them at bay. Gradually, Portsmouth began to work their way upfield and were soon setting up attacks of their own. As so often happens, the team that defends for a period then sets up an attack that results in a try. Following a penalty against Gosport for a high tackle Portsmouth kicked to touch and gained a 5 metre lineout. This results in a good catch and drive which sees Portsmouth score the first try of the match through No.8 Matt Hoban. The conversion by Lee Chandler hit the post and bounced back out so the score was 5-0 with about 20 minutes gone.

    With the game swinging between the 22’s Portsmouth then lost scrum half Harry Drew with a recurrance of a previous injury to his knee. His place was taken by Matt Higgins. A penalty against Portsmouth saw Gosport kick to touch giving them a lineout close to the Portsmouth try line. Pressure from Gosport eventually saw them cross for their first try taking the score to 5-5 after about 30 minutes. Adam Parks-Dare then gave way to Liam Avis who took his place in the front row. A penalty from almost in front of the Portsmouth posts gave Gosport a chance to take the lead but the kick went wide.

    A penalty against Gosport gave the home side a good attacking opportunity and it was Liam Avis, making a welcome return after a rib injury, who crossed for their second try, this time converted by Chandler and giving Portsmouth a 12-5 advantage, Just as half time was approaching Gosport hit back with an unconverted try taking the score to 12-10. The half time whistle went shortly after.

    The second half started with Portsmouth making some changes. Matt Pilbeam came on at fullback to replace Brad Jewer who moved to the wing to replace Connor Charlton who came off. Liam Glazebrook came off to be replaced by Dan Spencer on the back row. Shortly after Lee Chandler came off to be replaced by Matt Hoban and then Portsmouth lost Bryn Rainford to a yellow card for a dangerous tackle.

    Taking advantage of Portsmouth being down to 14 players Gosport,from a penalty, set up a 5m lineout and drove over for their third try, which was converted, taking the score to 12-17 with about 65 minutes gone. It was then Gosport’s turn to have a player yellow carded which turned out to be former Portsmouth player Tim Snowden. Matt Higgins then came off to be replaced by Dan gates who had come off earlier. He replaced Sam Olie who moved to scrum half and Gates returned to the centre.

    With both teams vying for territory it was Portsmouth who gained the upper hand and managed to set up a forward drive which resulted in the scoring a try through Matt Hoban. Matt Pilbeam took the conversion and that put the home side in front at 19-17. The game got even more intense when Gosport were awarded a penalty which they converted gving them a 19-20 lead. Vinnie Jefferies then came on to replace Bryn Rainford who had served his 10 minutes but wasn’t coming back on.

    With about 9 minutes left the game was getting very tense with both sides trying to gain the upper hand. Gosport had a chance to retake the lead when they intercepted a pass but the player couldn’t hold the ball and it bounced out of his grasp. Eventually it was left to Portsmouth’s No.10 Hywel Gronow to take the game by the scruff off its neck as he made a great break around his 22 and showed great pace as he raced away from the defenders. He then lost his balance when his studs got caught in the grass and he fell to the ground. He was able to fall on his back looking for support which arrived in the form of Brad Jewer who had been following him, he was able to pass the ball to him and Jewer raced away from oncoming opponents to score under the posts. Undoubtedly the try of the match. With Matt Pilbeam on target with the kick, Portsmouth took the lead 26-20 and the final whistle went as the ball crossed the cross bar – much to the delight of Portsmouth players and supporters alike. This had been a typical fiesty derby /cup match with neither side giving any quarter.
    The result of this win is a trip to Eastbourne for their next match this coming Saturday.

    Overheard from a Portsmouth supporter standing behind the home side replacement bench, “That must be the worst set of haircuts ever seen!” reference to the colts and former colts waiting to go on.

    On a more personal note, I would like to thank Keith Harrington for operating the score board for me for a few years. Unfortunately he is now unable to carry on doing this due to health problems and not as some suspect due to the barracking from the balcony!. Graham Medland helped me out for todays game but as he also arranges the lunches it is not really a viable option. Therefore I am asking for a volunteer to carry out this small but important task for the new season. It only involves putting up the score as I put out everything before the game and clear it all away after. I await a flood of offers!.



  • Weekend Round-Up

    It was a first defeat in five matches for the first fifteen who gave their all at Ellingham & Ringwood but went down bravely 21-14 despite being ahead at half time with a narrow four point lead.

    On Sunday The Colts were convincing winners in their Hampshire Bowl tie against Gosport and Fareham, cruising into the next round with a fine 33-10 victory at Rugby Camp. Well done to all the lads and the coaches who go into the next round and are having a great season.

    The Valkyries second xv hosted Eastleigh ladies in National Championship 3 SE(S) where they had plenty of ball in the first half and ran in eight tries, five of them scored by centre Anne-Marie Tilley. Other tries came from second row Laura Gazzard, Prop Sian Owen and winger Luna Lewis. Sandy Newsham was named forward of the match for an absolutely storming display of ball carrying and tackling.

    There was a bittersweet note as this was the last game of the season which saw the girls finish the league on the same points but in third place behind Trojans ii on points difference. Incidently the ladies have won their last six matches with bonus point victories, so the future of the Valks is looking bright. Also Sunday saw hooker Emma Chapman play her final game before retiring from rugby to concentrate on a wrestling career. Emma has been an invaluable member of the squad for eight years, she always puts a big shift in and has been an inspiration to the younger players in her role as vice captain this season. We wish her well in the future and thank her for her dedication to The Valkyries over the years.

  • Under 16s Hampshire Vase Final

    By Fred French

    Portsmouth v Basingstoke at Winchester RFC.

    In the first ten minutes possession and position were in Portsmouths favour, but final passes didn’t go to hand and Basingstoke were very strong defensively.  They capitalised on a Portsmouth error when one of the Basingstoke backs broke the line and ran from deep in their own half to score under the posts and converted.

    Portsmouth replied ten minutes later with a penalty in front of the posts kicked by Reggie D, then just before half-time Reggie scored under the posts on a pick and go and converted.  

    Half time 10-7.

    The second half was Portsmouth’s game. Possession, going forward, in support of each other, but Basingstoke still put up a solid defence, disrupting play tackling and rucking.

    Tries came from George O with a pick and dive converted by Reggie, a Josh W run in from the wing converted by Reggie.  Dylan B scored Portsmouth’s final try it was a powerful run in from Rhys who passed to Dylan to score the try (not converted)

    Final score 29-7.

    Unfortunately the game was marred by yellow cards to each side throughout and a red card at the end for Basingstoke.  Portsmouth had a serious collision injury at the end to James F resulting in a full supporting cast of air ambulance paramedic, paramedic, doctor and at least one nurse who were present watching and supporting other teams James went to hospital and concussion was diagnosed. 

    This was the teams last match together as Portsmouth U16s from next week they start training as Colts. It was also their third end of season final together and their third win bringing home the trophy.

  • Ellingham & Ringwood vs Portsmouth, Saturday 16th March 2024

    Portsmouth travelled to Ellingham & Ringwood for this return fixture having won 13-0 in their first encounter. With only a couple of changes from last week, prop Phill Gilliland was unavailable as was Brad Jewer who played fullback.

    Before the game got underway teams lined up for a minutes silence for an Ellingham Club Member who passed away suddenly last week.

    Portsmouth got the game underway and for a while play was contained between the 10 metre lines with neither side able to get any real control. Portsmouth then had a kick upfield resulting from a penalty against Ellingham. A good 5 metre touch was found but the ball was lost at the lineout enabling Ellingham to take play back downfield. A poor pass to Aarron Beesley could not be gathered as the ball was knocked on. Ellingham were now putting pressure on the Portsmouth try line and only some very good defence by the visitors kept the score board intact. Eventually pressure told and Ellingham crossed for a try but again stout defence by Portsmouth saw them manage to get under the ball thus denying Ellingham the try. Another 5 metre scrum again saw Ellingham cross the line but again Portsmouth managed to hold the ball up. After 16 minutes Portsmouth had a shot at goal but the kick just shaded the outside post. A third attempt by Ellingham at a drive for the line again saw Portsmouth hold the ball up. Portsmouth then had Lee Chandler yellow carded for a dangerous tackle.

    Ellingham set up another attack and as they spun the ball wide it was only a brilliant tackle by winger Connor Charlton who stopped a certain try as he drove his opponent into touch before he could touch down. However it was Ellingham who got on the score board first with a penalty, taking a 3-0 lead on 29 minutes. Portsmouth then made a change when Ben Gordon came on to replace Dan Spencer on the flank. Portsmouth were then back to a full compliment with Chandler having served his 10 minutes in the bin. Portsmouth had more problems when prop Liam Avis had to come off with bruised ribs to be replaced by the evergreen Ian French in the front row. An excellent move by Portsmouth saw the ball moved slickly across the backs and a final pass was lobbed up in the air to be caught by Beesley as he raced down the touch line to score out wide. Tom Sanderson was on target with a difficult conversion and they now took the lead 3-7 as the half time whistle went as the ball dissected the posts.

    The second half started with Portsmouth making another change with Josh Howell-Williams being replaced at full back by Harvey Field, An infringement by Portsmouth at a scrum saw Ellingham awarded a penalty in front of the posts which they duly converted taking the score to 6-7 on 48 minutes. Another penalty against Portsmouth for a high tackle saw Ellingham take the lead 9-7 on 53 minutes. Ben Spencer then went back on to replace Ben Gordon.

    It was then Portsmouth’s turn to trouble the score board when from a scrum about 10 metres from the try line they won good ball and Alex Higson gathered and fought his way over for their second try. Again Sanderson was on target and they now led 9-14 on 59 minutes. Shortly after this Ellingham had a player red carded for kicking the Portsmouth No.8 as he was lying on the ground. There was a lot of anger directed at Portsmouth by the home team supporters which seemed to spread to the Ellingham players who were then marched 10 metres down field. Ellingham had a chance to further increase their lead when they had a penalty on the 10 metre line and just to the side of the posts but the kick went wide leaving the score still at 9-14 on 64 minutes.

    Portsmouth then lost Stewart Davies to a yellow card for a high tackle. Josh Howell-Williams then came on to replace Lee Chandler who was suffering from cramp. Ellingham then scored their first try when they worked the ball upfield to score out wide. This meant they now re-took the lead 16-14 with about 3 minutes left. Portsmouth then lost Beesley to a yellow card so they were now down to 13 players. Stewart Davies then came back on but Ellingham had the last say when the ran the ball down the wing to score out wide tsking the final score to 21-14 and the final whistle went with a victory to the home side.

    Whilst the Portsmouth defence held up well, especially in the first half, they just couldn’t get their attack going consistantly. When they did the backs looked dangerous but it just wasn’t as it had been in their last 2 wins which was very frustrating. The did manage to gain 1 bonus point but that was scant reward for what might have been.
    The result sees them slip down to 5th place on 52 points, with Gosport & Fareham in 4th place on 55 points. They played Bognor and won 30-0.
    Next week they play Gosport who they beat at their ground recently so that promises to be a fiesty affair.



  • News Round Up

    So with the rain once again taking it’s toll on the pitches at Rugby Camp all the Mens teams played away on Saturday. The first xv had a trip to Littlehampton where they played Bognor in Counties Division 1. Bognors pitches like ours were under water. The 1sts produced another outstanding performance winning by 28 points to 5 for a fourth successive win. Sam Olie was voted man of the match.

    The Casuals played Romsey on their 4G pitch but despite a spirited fightback they lost 48-25. The thirds went to New Milton who opted to host the game at the last minute, the home side winning 35-0.

    On to this coming weekend, the firsts are at home to Andover and they will hope to keep the winning run going. With the Casuals at home to Christchurch it’s an exciting double bill at Rugby Camp, both 1500 kick offs.

    No games for The Valkyries this coming weekend but The Colts are away to Ellingham and Ringwood on Sunday.

    The two Six Nations matches are being screened this Saturday at the club, Italy v Scotland at 1415 and the big one, England v Ireland at 1645. So come along and cheer the first team on against Andover, then strap yourselves in for the huge game at Twickenham where England will attempt to stop Ireland from getting another step closer to the Grand Slam.

  • Gosport & Fareham vs Portsmouth, Saturday 24th February 2024

    By Jim Dixon

    Portsmouth travelled to Gosport for this re-arranged fixture from 9th.December due to a waterlogged pitch. Elliott Worrell made a welcome return in the 2nd row after a lengthy injury spell and Stuart Davies had to withdraw due to illness and his place was taken by Dan Gates in the centre.

    Gosport got the game underway and from a Gareth Davies clearance they took play deep into the Portsmouth half. A kick through by Gosport nearly resulted in a try but fortunately quick cover from Portsmouth saw them touch down first. Portsmouth were unable to make inroads up field and eventually Gosport crossed for the first try of the match giving them a 5 – 0 lead with about 10 minutes gone. Gosport had a chance to increase their lead with a penalty but the kick went wide.

    With both sides vying for territory gain Portsmouth winger Leo Wall showed good strength with a run but eventually Gosport regained possession and took play back upfield. Tom Sanderson and Connor Charlton combined well to take the ball back into the opposition half and the ball was passed to No.8 Beesley who dummied his way over to score out wide taking the score to 5 – 5 with about 30 minutes on the clock.

    Liam Avis then came on to replace Fooks in the front row and Dan Spencer also came on to replace Lee Chandler at No.7. Portsmouth then lost Worrall to a yellow card. An attacking move from Portsmouth came to nothing when the final pass got knocked on. Gosport kicked upfield and as the ball went into touch the half time whistle went with the teams level on 5 all.

    Portsmouth started the second half still with Worrall in the bin. Connor Charlton also came off to be replaced by Josh Howell-Williams on the wing. Portsmouth set up a good attack and with the ball passed to Wall on the 10 metre line he made a strong run breaking tackles on his way to the try line as he touched down out wide, Davies was on target with the conversion and they now led 5 – 12. Gosport started to exert pressure and Portsmouth found themselves having to defend. They then lost Davies with a leg injury so Chandler went back on to take the 10 slot. From a 5 metre lineout Gosport took the ball and crossed for a try taking the score to 10 -12. with 55 minutes on the clock.

    Portsmouth were still having to defend, as Gosport set up a series of attacks, one of which resulted in a Gosport try scored out wide and giving them the lead at 15 – 12 on 65 minutes. This seemed to wake Portsmouth up and a series of attacks by the visitors saw them get into the Gosport 22. A penalty to Portsmouth just outside the Gosport 10 metre line saw Sanderson line up a kick at goal which neatly dissected the posts taking the score to 15 – 15. With the scores now level Portsmouth saw the opportunity to take the lead with about 13 minutes still to go. From another Portsmouth attack the ball found its way to Leo Wall and he produced another strong run. An infringement by Gosport saw them lose a player to a yellow card and gave Portsmouth a penalty kick. Sanderson was again on target and Portsmouth retook the lead 15 – 18.

    A touch kick clearance by Portsmouth saw the whistle go, signalling the end of the match, with a pleasing victory to the visitors. This was a very satisfying win for Portsmouth in what was a times was a fiesty derby encounter as is always the case when these two teams meet. Ollie Simpson again showed improvement in his pace and made some good inroads. Beesley was also pretty dominant with ball in hand although Gosport did manage to slow him down on occasions. The forwards again performed well. It was also rather satisfying to score a try when down to 14 players.

    This win sees Portsmouth move up to 5th place on 41 points, Next weeks opponents are Bognor. This should be a home match but when the sides last met the Bognor pitch was unplayable so the venues where swapped round. Portsmouth lost that game rather heavily so will no doubt be looking for revenge. Bognor lost to Trojans today 39 – 18. They are in 9th place. Portsmouth 2nds also had a very good win today against Overton 1’s 19-33. No mean feat, as Overton are currently in 3rd place in Counties 3, Portsmouth 2’s have now moved up to 7th.



  • Weekend Round Up 17/18 February

    by Simon Newsham

    We had a clean sweep throughout the senior club this weekend, victories for all three mens teams on Saturday and The Valkyries second fifteen on Sunday who went to Havant winning in convincing style.

    The first team put 62 points on their hosts Bournemouth ii who managed just a solitary try in response. Our Man of the match was Stewart Davies with a brace of tries on his return.

    The Casuals just edged it in a tight and feisty affair at home to Aldershot and Fleet, 15-12 the final score in that one.

    The thirds were also at home, this time with visitors Petersfield who are always tough opponents but the Vandals were impressive winners with a 35-12 scoreline.

    Moving onto Sunday and for once Havant was the place to be. The Valkyries second xv put on an absolutely brilliant display to take the points with a 14-45 win. The impressive Emily Joss helped herself to a hat-trick in a bonus point win. Scrum-half Emily Hare scored a try and four conversions while other scorers were Lydia Lairson and Alexia Seamer.

    On to the upcoming games this weekend, on Saturday the 1sts make the short trip to Gosport in Counties Division 1. We hope to see a large Pompey contingent make the journey across the water to cheer the lads on. The seconds are away to Overton in Counties 3, but there’s no game as yet for the third xv.

    This Sunday the Valkyries seconds hope to carry on their winning ways with Poole the visitors to Rugby Camp, whilst the Colts host Tottonians. There are also home games for the U16s and U15s on Sunday.

    On a sad footnote, the funeral of our good friend Kevin Ricketts takes place at Christ Church, Widley 1145 tomorrow 20th February. There will be a wake at Havant Rugby Club from 1300 where we can share our memories of Kevin, a truly lovely man.

  • Bournemouth II vs Portsmouth, Saturday 17th February 2024

    by Jim Dixon

    Portsmouth travelled on one of their longer journeys to take on Bournemouth 2’s on a rather damp and miserable day. Portsmouth got the game underway and managed to give away 6 penalties in as many minutes which rather frustrated the Coaches and the visiting spectators. Eventually however they got things under better control and soon started to dominate, especially in the forwards where they drove the opposition back on several occasions. The lineouts were also proving a good source of gaining extra ball with Liam Glazebrook stealing several balls on the Bournemouth throw.

    Bournemouth had a chance of taking the lead with a penalty kick from just inside the Portsmouth 10 metre line but the kick went wide. It wasn’t long before Portsmouth got on the score sheet with a try by Aaron Beesley who made one of his typical runs through the opposition. With Gareth Davies on target Portsmouth took a 0 -7 lead. Portsmouth were soon on the score board again when from deep in their half they ran the ball up field through several pairs of hands until it finished with skipper Ollie Simpson who raced away to score . Again Davies was on target with the conversion and the score was now 0-14. Portsmouth were now dominating proceedings and again from inside their half ran the ball up field through several hands and eventually Leo Wall took the final pass to run through and round to dot down under the posts with Davies again on target. The score was now 0-21.

    Portsmouth then made a couple of changes with Fooks and Chandler coming off to be replaced by Liam Avis and Dan Spencer. A 5 metre lineout to Portsmouth saw them set up a good catch and drive which resulted in Liam Avis scoring the 4th. bonus point try. The conversion missed and the lead was now 0-26. Portsmouth’s final score of the first half was from Leo Wall who touched down out wide after a good run. The conversion missed and the lead was now 0-31 with the whistle going shortly after, signalling the end of of the half.

    The second half got underway with Bournemouth showing a more attacking game bringing Portsmouth’s defensive attributes to the fore. Eventually however the Bournemouth persistance paid of with a try close to the touch line, the conversion taking the score to 7-31. Portsmouth soon got back to their scoring ways however but not before Leo Wall had made way for Connor Charlton on the wing. From a kick by Bournemouth which was caught by Stewart Davies he made ground before kicking ahead, much to the disappointment of the Portsmouth spectators, but as he managed to gather his own kick and cover the ground to the try line and score their disappointment soon turned to cheers, Davies was back on target and the score was now 7-38.

    Phil Galliland then came off to be replaced by Fooks. Bournemouth then lost one of their props who had to come off, and as there was no replacement the scrums went to uncontested. Fooks was soon on the scoreboard when he took a short pass and crashed his way over for a try. The conversion took the score to 7-45. Ollie Simpson then came off to be replaced by Aaron Beesley. Brad Atkins then got on the scoreboard when he crossed for an unconverted try taking the score to 7-50. Beesley then showed great awareness when the ball came loose in the in goal area after Bournemouth lost control, and he quickly raced through to touch down. Davies then took a drop kick to convert the score taking the tally to 7-57. A good break by Beesley saw him pass to the supporting Stewart Davies who crossed for their 10th try taking the final score to 7-62.

    Liam Glazebrook again had a good game, not only in stealing the opposition’s lineout ball but generally in attack and defence. Beesley and Simpson also showed up well with both having some good runs. Simpson in particular showed good pace running with ball in hand, which showed the benefit both players got from the boxing they took part in during the summer break. Bryn Rainford again had a good game and he also stole some opposition ball at the lineout.

    This result still sees Portsmouth siting in on 37 points, just 2 points behind Ellingham & Ringwood who have a much worse points record. Portsmouth play them in a couple of weeks but before that they have to travel to Gosport & Fareham next week in what promises to be a good local derby, They narrowly lost to Andover 28-33.and are in on 46 points.



  • Weekend Round-Up

    It was a very busy Saturday at Rugby Camp with the visit of a coachload of Welshmen from the Rhonnda, whilst the firsts took on New Milton with a commanding performance, winning 47-5. See Jim Dixons match report. There was also the Rugby Against Cancer Bottomless Brunch in the clubhouse which was well supported on RAC sock takeover week.

    The seconds went away to Alresford coming away with the points in a narrow 14-15 victory.

    The 3rd XV went down by 35 to 20 against United Services and I assume the Vets won by the customary 76-0 against Abercwmboi who provided the soundtrack in the bar during Wales narrow defeat to Scotland.

    Sunday saw our U14s take on Alton in the cup semi final, they weathered the early pressure from the visitors to bounce back winning 24-17 in a highly physical, attritional match against skillful and determined opposition. As coach Chris Morrow said “It was ugly, but we were immense”. They play the U14s Cup Final on March 17, opponents to be announced.

    The Under 12s Hosted Havant in a friendly and came out winners by eight tries to three in a well drilled, clinical performance. Both sides running with ball in hand and equally defending well. The Portsmouth boys defended with great stamina and didn’t give the visitors much space or possession to exploit.

    Portsmouth Valkyries first XV played at home on Sunday against Cullompton in the RFU Intermediate Cup quarter final. The visitors showed why they’re a league above our women with a 25-61 victory. Their speedsters on the wing doing the majority of the scoring. The Valkyries really put in a shift and can hold their heads high despite the score which doesn’t reflect the amount of possession they had.

    This weekend coming

    There is only one senior mens game this Saturday with the 2s away to Andover, however, the club is open on Saturday for the Six nations games in the Peter Golding Bar.

    On Sunday the 11th The Valkyries 1st XV travel west to take on Bath Ladies while the 2nds host East Dorset Dockers at Rugby Camp.

    In other news the 100 club winners for February were drawn on Monday the 5th, the £50 winner was Nigel Morgan and the £30 went to T Golding.

  • Portsmouth vs New Milton, Saturday 3rd February 2024

    Portsmouth welcomed New Milton to Rugby Camp and a rather cold breezy day. New Milton won the toss and elected to play with the breeze behind them. Prior to the game starting the two reams lined up in front of the Clubhouse to give a minutes applause in memory of Kevin Ricketts who sadly passed away last week.

    Portsmouth kicked off and soon set up a good attacking move that involved forwards and backs alike, taking the ball from one side of the pitch to the other. Eventually it was hooker Brad Atkins who took the final pass and scored close to the posts. Gareth Davies was on target and they took a 7-0 lead. The game became a bit bogged down with neither side being able to make ground. In fact there was a short period when Portsmouth had no possession and spent time just on defence. Prop Adam Parks-Dare came off to be replaced by the evergreen Ian French. However it was New Milton who scored next with a well taken try by their winger who showed good speed to score wide out. The conversion failed and the score was now 7-5 with about 23 minutes on the clock. A good move by Portsmouth saw them move the ball upfield but as they moved into the opposition 22 the final pass went straight into touch.

    Portsmouth then made another change with Lee Chandler coming off to be replaced by Dan Spencer on the back row. Spencer has been getting good reviews from the 2nds so deserved his place. Bryn Rainford stole a New Milton ball from a lineout and Portsmouth then won a penalty which saw a good touch kick give them a 5 metre line out. Portsmouth caught clean ball and set up a drive to the try line enabling No,.8 Aaron Beesley to drive over. The conversion missed and the score was now 12-5. From the restart Portsmouth set up another good attack with Beesley making good ground before of loading . Eventually the ball went to fullback Tom Sanderson who raced through to score under the posts. Davies was on target and the score was now 19-5 From the restart Dan Spencer took the ball onwards showing good leg drive as he was tackled but stayed on his feet. He managed to make ground before offloading. Eventually a New Milton tackle dislodged the ball, which went forward and the referee blew his whistle to signify the end of the first half.

    The second half started with more changes to Portsmouth. Stewart Davies came on to the centre in place of Leo Wall who moved to the wing to replace Connor Charlton who came off. Portsmouth were showing domination at scrum time and they pushed New Milton off their own put in. Ian French then came off to be replaced by Adam Parks-Dare. Portsmouth were now dominating proceedings and a good run by Fooks who laid the ball back as he was tackled. The ball was then shipped on to Adam Parks-Dare who showed a good turn of speed to score Portsmouth’s 4 try giving them that important bonus point. Davies was again on target and the lead was now 26-5. From a lineout Portsmouth spun the ball across the field and eventually it was Ollie Simpson who took the final pass to score another try. The score was now 33-5 with Davies’s conversion adding the extra’s.
    Portsmouth were now almost scoring at will with Lee Chandler now back on and he drove his way over. With Davies on target again the score was now 40-5 with about 8 minutes to go. From the restart New Milton set up a very good attack and got almost to the Portsmouth 5 metre line and it was only a brilliant tackle by second row Simon Pinhorne that kept them out. Portsmouth were soon back deep in New Milton territory and it was hooker Brad Atkins who scored the final try, and his second of the day, converted by Davies to take the final score to 47-5.

    Credit must be given to New Milton as they stuck to their task and kept fighting all the match. They also travelled with only 15 players so had no cover for any players. Fortunately they didn’t suffer any injuries so were able to keep 15 on the field.

    Simon Pinhorne is proving to be a valuable asset in the second row as he quietly but efficiently gets on with his job. The backs today worked well together and often looked dangerous in attack, Portsmouth scored 7 tries in total and 6 were converted giving a pretty good return on the afternoon’s work. This result leaves Portsmouth still in 6th place on 42 points, just 1 point behind Ellingham & Ringwood but they have a better points difference. They beat Eastleigh 24-8. which leaves Eastleigh 6 points behind Portsmouth in 7th place.

    Next week we were due to play Andover but apparently they have complained to the RFU that Portsmouth didn’t offer them the first available blank Saturday. The RFU seemed to agree with them and have said the game will now be played in March. As the home team surely they should have spoken to us as well. Perhaps Andover had an ulterior motive for this request, we will never know. So next week is a blank Saturday for the 1’s. The 2’s actually travel to Andover to play their 2’s.



  • Weekend Round Up

    After being in front at Havant the 1st fifteen eventually succumbed to Havant’s pace in the backs, going down right at the end narrowly by 31 points to 28. This was a fine performance by the lads who outplayed their local rivals for much of the game.

    The Casuals did the reverse at Rugby Camp against Havant 3s with a late score to win 27-26.

    On Sunday the Valkyries 2nd xv travelled to East Dorset where they won by forty points to nil, although the RFU website shows 0-50 so a couple of the Valks are trying to add the spare tries to their tally.

    Colts Win The League

    Our Colts are league champions for the second successive season. A 52-12 victory against Bognor gave them the title. Massive congratulations to all the lads and the coaching staff. We can look forward to a bright future with this squad of youngsters.

    The U14s visited Saracens where they beat three Essex clubs, Chelmsford by 30 points to 5, Southend by 20 to nil and Westcliff 40-15.

    This weekend the firsts host New Milton at 1400 on Saturday while the Casuals (2nd xv) travel to Alresford and the 3s, The Vandals go to Burnaby Road to take on US Portsmouth ii. It’ll be a busy one at the club on Saturday with the Vets hosting a touring side from Abercwmboi also 1400 ko.

    The Valkyries have a busy day on Sunday with the seconds hosting Poole at midday in the league then at 1400 the firsts take on Cullompton in the quarter final of the RFU Womens Intermediate Cup. We’re hoping for a big crowd on Sunday to cheer the ladies on.

  • Kevin Ricketts

    It is with great sadness we have to report the death of former club man and referee Kevin Ricketts after a long illness.

    Kevin was a greatly respected and much loved member of PRFC, he was a fine referee not just in Hampshire but he reached the very top of the tree as a First Class ref, the equivalent of the Premiership today. Born in Newport, Wales he settled down south and taught for many years at Priory School before retirement. Kevin for many years wrote weekly match reports for the Portsmouth News sports pages covering local rugby, cricket and football. His coverage of our club was always a little more partisan than other local clubs which showed his great affection for PRFC. As an appreciation of his life and love of the club there will be a minutes silence before the games on Saturday and Sunday.

    Kevin leaves his wife Ann and sons Christopher and David, we extend our deepest condolences to all the family and friends of such a fine man.

  • Dr. Richard Tyrrell

    We’re extremely sad to announce the untimely passing of Dr Richard Tyrrell! Dr Dick was a stalwart of the club and will be missed by everyone 💛

    Our thoughts and prayers are with Cathy and all the family 🖤

  • Weekend review 21st/22nd October 2023

    Bt Simon Newsham

    As the dust settles on Rugby World Cup semi final weekend or not, as every refereeing decision is pulled apart by the media we can take a look at how the club got on. The first xv got back to winning ways with a splendid home win against Havant ii (see Jim Dixons match report). There’s a couple of weeks break now for rest and recuperation, some injuries and tired muscles will get a bit of reprieve.

    Meanwhile at Hooks Lane the Casuals went down by thirty points to eight despite having been all square at half time they were overpowered in the second period.

    The Vets travelled to Fawley where we can only assume they won 76-0.

    Sunday saw The Valkyries first team travel deep into Gloucestershire to Chipping Sodbury where they notched up a fine 38-0 away win, opening up a clear four point gap at the top of the table ahead of second place Supermarine. Two tries from wing Katie Wadeson and one each from the other backs Emily Hare, Bronwyn Miller, Georgie Harris, and Megan Jones meant all the tries came from numbers ten to fifteen. Nancy Lismore slotted three conversions while Emily Hare added the other two points.

    The Valks second fifteen couldn’t capitalise on a first half lead at home to Trojans who arrived a couple of players short, but with uncontested scrums and having to play under 19s laws didn’t allow the Valkyries to play to their strengths. The final score was 22 – 31 with tries from Luna Lewis, Alex Rainbow, Laura Gazzard with her first for the club and to cap a fine game at fly-half Nicki Buckingham also scored. Sophie Exton-Woodford back in the fold playing at centre grabbed a conversion.

    The Colts put in an outstanding performance at Bognor, coming away with a huge forty nil win.

    The U14s had a busy weekend with home games on Saturday and Sunday, the first game against Princethorpe College from Rugby on their annual visit. In a fast and physical game Pompey were superior at the breakdown and in defence to take the win by 42 points to 10.
    On Sunday they played Fareham Heathens beating them 50-0.

    Tickets for Octoberfest at the club on 11 November are now very limited, contact Ollie Simpson if you want to go along £20 is the asking price over 18s only. for more details.

    Have a great week

  • Portsmouth v Havant 2, Saturday 21st October 2021, Counties 1 Hampshire

    Match report by Jim Dixon

    Portsmouth 18 – 11 Havant 2

    This is a truly local derby with Havant holding the bragging rights following 2 wins last season.  However, this is a different side to last year with a much more cohesive feel about it. They also communicate well with each other on the pitch and are playing much more as a team, supporting each other.   Havant won the toss and kicked off. Portsmouth managed to knock on giving Havant a scrum just outside the Portsmouth 22.  For the next 10 -15 minutes Portsmouth were forced to defend but this they did very well, keeping their line intact.  Portsmouth were then able to set up an attack of their own and through some good handling in the backs took the game into the Havant 22 with a good run by Kallen Wilke which was only stopped by a desperate last minute tackle. It was now Portsmouth’s turn to pressurise their opponents.  Eventually that pressure was turned into points when prop Liam Avis was driven over the line for the first score of the match,  a difficult kick from out wide , by Simon Morgan gave Portsmouth a 7  –  0 lead with about 15 minutes gone.  Havant soon hit back however with a try of their own which they were unable to convert so Portsmouth’s lead was now 7 –  5.  Portsmouth were then penalised just outside their 22 giving Havant a kick at goal just to the side of the posts.  The kick was successful and they now took the lead 7  –  8. Liam Avis and Lee Chandler then came off to be replaced by Adam Parks-Dare and Aaron Beesley.  Pressure from Portsmouth saw them put in a good touch kick just on the 5 metre line and they managed to steal the ball from Havant and drove for the try line with Anthony Fooks claiming the try.  Morgan’s kick just missed but they re-took the lead 12  –  8.  A good run by 2nd row Finn Parry saw Portsmouth take the ball back into the Havant half.  Havant set up another attack but good Portsmouth defence forced a knock on by Havant   From the scrum Portsmouth won good ball which Morgan put into touch and the half time whistle went.

    The second half got underway with Portsmouth kicking off and rain starting.  A brilliant run by debut making Matt Austin, who had been getting  good reviews from the 2nds., who then passed to Parry who carried on the move.  They got penalised for not releasing after the tackle. Harvey Field then came of and was replaced by Harry Drew,  Drew went to No.9 and Sanderson went to No.15  with Josh Howell-Williams moving from 15 to 14.  From a lineout Portsmouth made excellent ground and then set up a drive to the try line but as they crossed for a try the Ref deemed the ball to have been knocked forward. 

    From a scrum Havant were penalised for offside. Portsmouth elected a kick at goal although the position was quite far out,  between the halfway line and their 10metre line  but Morgan was again on target, which now took the score to 15  –  8.  Shortly after this Portsmouth had a further opportunity to extend their lead with another penalty from a similar distance but out near the touch line but the kick just shaded the near post.   Portsmouth were now enjoying domination in the Havant half with most of the play being contained there.  An excellent touch kick by Morgan resulted in a 50/22 result giving Portsmouth a line on the 5 metre line.  With the rain now pretty steady the ball was getting like a bar of soap and unfortunately they lost possession  giving Havant the chance to clear their line.  More pressure from Portsmouth eventually saw them win another penalty from almost in front of the posts. Morgan duly obliged and their lead was now 18  –  8.  With handling now a bit of a lottery Havant made a rare excursion onto the Portsmouth half but good defensive work kept them out.  As Portsmouth ran the ball out of the Havant 22 they were penalised for crossing giving Havant a fairly straightforward penalty kick which they converted making the score 18  –  11.  Portsmouth soon set up another attack with winger Connor Charlton racing down the touch line but he was tackled with the ball going into touch and the final whistle went with a very much deserved victory to Portsmouth.  At the start they seemed to be giving a bit too much respect to Havant but once that initial 10 – 15 minutes had gone they soon realised they had nothing to fear and for large parts of the first half and most of the second half they won the territorial battle with some ease.  The second row pairing of Finn Parry and Matt Austin went well with both making good inroads with ball in hand.  Prop Phil Gilliland had another great game and deservedly won the MoM presented by Mo Twells.  The backs are also playing very well and are setting up good combinations.  The team spirit throughout is very good to see.  

    This weekend’s results sees the top 5 places unchanged from last week. Portsmouth are now just 1 point behind Havant.  Petersfield beat Gosport & Fareham 43  –  15,  Andover beat New Milton  38  –  3. 

    Next week there are no games which hopefully will give those players who are carrying a few niggles a chance of recovery,  Portsmouth’s next game will be on 4th. November away to New Milton.  Don’t forget that kick off will be at 2.30pm as the clocks go back next weekend.  








  • Weekend Review 14th/15th October 2023

    By Simon Newsham

    It was a tough weekend for the senior men, the firsts went down 18-13 at Andover bringing an end to their excellent winning start to the season (see Jim Dixon’s match report).

     At Rugby Camp the Casuals suffered the agony of a last minute defeat to Andover 2s going down 21-27 whilst the Third XV also at home lost narrowly by eight points to twelve against Fareham Heathens.

    No fixtures for the Valkyries last weekend but this Sunday league leaders the first xv are away at Chipping Sodbury in NC1 South West E.  Meanwhile the seconds will host Trojans Ladies at Rugby Camp.

     Some of the Mini section went to Alton for a coaching session, massive thanks to Alton for hosting us on a glorious sunny morning.

     I only have two reports from the juniors and that was the U13s who went away to Eastleigh and despite going down by nine tries to five. Dexter Oliver was player of the match for the second game running. A big mention to Samuel Hunter who has really come on and put in some amazing tackles. The U13s are looking forward to a rematch at Norway Road.

    And on Sunday the U14s hosted Ellingham & Ringwood in a friendly fixture.

    With a very experimental side and lots of players playing in new positions, the home team ran out 73-12 winners. A real credit to the adaptability of the boys.

    11 tries in total, with ?Hat trick? Henry getting voted man of the match by the opposition. Finley, Seth, Ashton, Zachary, Michael and Nathan also getting over the line – backed up by the boots of Lenny and Ashton.

    This weekend it’s a big one at home, local rivals Havant ii come to Rugby Camp, there is a lunch available beforehand where the menu is Steak and Ale Pie with vegetables and herby roast potatoes or a Sweet Potato and Vegetable pie. Dessert is Sticky Toffee Pudding with custard. Please contact Graham Medland on 07952994352 or

     The Casuals are away to Havant 3’s KO 3pm and the Vets have their first outing with a trip to Fawley Veterans, KO 2 pm

  • Andover v Portsmouth, Saturday 14th October 2023, Counties 1 Hampshire

    Match report by Jim Dixon

    Andover 18 – 13 Portsmouth

    Portsmouth travelled to Andover for their 5th League match. Not the easiest pitch to play on with a slope running to length of the pitch towards the clubhouse. Portsmouth had to make changes to the side that played last week and had a completely new front row. They also welcomed Kallen Wilke for his debut 1st XV appearance having impressed last week for the 2’s.
    It was a colder day than last week with a stuff breeze blowing down the pitch.
    Portsmouth lost the toss and had to play down hill in the first half. With the benefit of the slope Portsmouth soon had Andover defending their line. A couple of penalty kicks ,the first of which just fell short of the posts and the second actually hit the upright but bounced back into the field of play but Portsmouth were able to secure possession and a good drive from Finn Parry saw him cross for their first try. Morgan was on target with the conversion and they led 0 – 7. Andover were soon on the attack and eventually a penalty saw them close the gap to 3 – 7. Andover, through their pack, were able to control possession and a high tackle by Portsmouth saw them close the gap to 6 – 7. Portsmouth were soon back on the attack when full back, Brad Jewer fielded a kick and side stepping his opponent, he set of on a good run and linked well with Harvey Field who also made good ground but was eventually tap tackled after a run of about 20 metres. Portsmouth were penalised for not releasing after the tackle. they were putting some good moves together but just could not make that final breakthrough. Better tackling could have prevented at least one try. Eventually the half time whistle went.

    The second half started with Brad Jewer coming off to be replaced by Harry Drew, He went to No.9 with Tom Sanderson going to No.15. Lee Chandler also came off to be replaced by Henri Davies at No.7 and Ryan Bosher replaced Finn Parry in the 2nd.row. Andover now with the benefit of the slope set up an attack which went almost the length of the field and resulted in them scoring a try under the posts. The conversion was good and the lead was now 13 – 7. From a line-out Portsmouth lost the ball but Andover were penalised for being offside. Morgan took a kick at goal which was successful and the gap was now 13 -10. A good run from Portsmouth saw them take play from one 22 to the other but again just couldn’t make that final break through. A scoring chance by Andover came to nothing through some good defensive work by Portsmouth who eventually won a penalty enabling Morgan to put in a very good touch kick into the Andover half. Portsmouth then lost prop Liam Avis to a yellow card. From that penalty Andover set up a line-out just inside the Portsmouth 22 and a quick throw to the front saw them run through virtually unopposed for a try out wide. The conversion missed and the score was now 18 – 10. With time running out for Portsmouth they were awarded a penalty which Morgan was able to convert making the score 18 – 13. The final whistle went shortly after with some frustration from Portsmouth as they could have won this encounter if they had made the most of their chances. They did however get a bonus point for being within 7 points of Andover. The main difference between the two side was the Andover pack who were heavier than Portsmouth. That’s not to say that the Portsmouth pack were overwhelmed, far from it. Portsmouth’s backs were also in good form with Jewer, Charlton and debut maker Kallen Wilke showing up well. In the forwards Finn Parry also had a good game and seems to be enjoying life in the second row rather than prop and his 2nd row partner Foster also showed some pace with ball in hand. One of the problems of today’s match was the rather constant complaining to the referee which rather turned him against Portsmouth.
    Today’s result sees Portsmouth slip to 5th. place just behind Andover who started the day in 3rd. Next week’s opponents Havant 2nd’s leapfrog into 3rd. after their away win against Eastleigh 30 – 36. Petersfield stay on top with Gosport & Fareham 2nd.


    Portsmouth Man of the Match

    Kallen Wilke

  • Weekend Review 7th/8th October 2023

    By Simon Newham

    The First xv left it late against Eastleigh at Rugby Camp (see Jim Dixons report) but it was a fantastic end to a second period which we spent entirely in Eastleighs half of the pitch.

    The Casuals won 76-0 away to Eastleigh with tries from, Ryan Bateman, Kallen Wilke, Hywel Gronow, Harry Drew, Henrie Thorne all with a try each. Henry Gill and Sam Witt with a brace and a hat-trick for Matt Austin. Hywel Gronow also added eight conversions, as one of the Colts stepping up in the second xv along with Henrie Thorne, Sam Witt and Gronow himself played well.  All three stepped up for their first senior game and they all put in a great shift. Well done, it’s great to see the transition between colts and seniors gelling together nicely.

    I’d love to give you a report from the Under 10’s at New Milton except we didn’t make it there. Thanks to a car malfunction on the M27, many thanks to Dave Thomas for assisting with the rescue of wife, child, dog and gazebo. I believe the U10s had a great day and are looking forward to their next tournament.

    Instead of being at New Milton I got the chance to watch the Valkyries at home to Ellingham & Ringwood who romped home in a 76-0 win. Hat-tricks for centre Georgie Harris and wing Katie Wadeson while full back Nikki Buckingham bagged herself two tries. Also on the scoresheet were fly-half Nancy Lismore, No.8 Zoe Jones, Keeta Rowlands and Ciera Forry all with one each.

    The Valks second xv travelled to Swanage and Wareham (thanks for the toot toot from the bus as you passed us on the hard shoulder) where a valiant performance saw them just edged out by ten points to seven. Prop Niamh Bevan scored our only try which was converted by Meg Wright.   

    The Colts compounded Eastleighs miserable weekend of results against us with a 54-7 drubbing at Rugby Camp, although it was a friendly fixture it’s still good to get a run of wins together.

    U12s match report;  What a difference a week makes! U12’s managed to right the wrongs of last week with four outstanding matches at New Milton. Despite losing the first game they found momentum in the second, narrowly missing out on a win against Tottonians but romped home with 2 victories against Romsey and tournament hosts New Milton. Coach Matt says “the squad really were impressive, their hard work, enthusiasm and enjoyment on the pitch was infectious, they firmly showed they are a force to be reckoned with!”

    The U13s played United Services in a cup match winning by five tries to four, Dexter Oliver was player of the match, most improved was Matin Javid and Donut of the Day Jack Nickleson.

    On Friday night the U14’s welcomed Chichester to Rugby Camp for a cracking game under the new floodlights.

    Having not played each other before, neither side knew what to expect. But the action on the pitch did not disappoint.

    Played in quarters, Portsmouth won each quarter. Eventually running out 54-10 winners but the scoreline doesn’t do justice to the quality and skill of the Chichester side who tested us in every area of the pitch.  Particularly pleasing from a Portsmouth perspective was the variation in which the tries were made and where they were scored. Not to mention an immense defensive effort to frustrate the visitors throughout. Eight tries were scored, Henry with two, Finley, Harry, Seth, Michael, Jake and Shaye one each (with 7/8 successfully converted by Shaye) sent the Portsmouth lads home with deserved smiles on their faces.

  • Portsmouth v Eastleigh, Saturday 7th October 2023, Counties 1 Hampshire

    Portsmouth 31 – 22 Eastleigh

    Match Report by Jim Dixon

    It was an ideal day for a game of rugby, the sun was out, it was warm with only a gentle breeze blowing down the pitch. There was 1 enforced change to the selected side. Tawanda Matipano had to drop out due to family reasons. His place was taken by Will Dalziel who was moved from the wing to fullback. Harvey Field came off the bench to play on the wing and Brad Jewer was moved from the 2’s to the 1’s bench.
    We were all expecting to see a continuation of the last two performances with slick passing and good interplay between backs and forwards but, alas, that didn’t happen. What we had was a rather disjointed performance for the most part with passes not always going to hand or not being held by the recipient. In part this was down to Eastleigh’s defence which was very good. Eastleigh were first on the scoreboard with a converted try after about 6 minutes. Portsmouth were able to reduce that lead with a well taken penalty from between the 10 metre and half way line but into a breeze. Morgan was on target so the score was now 3 – 7. Eastleigh were soon back on the attack and scored their second try out wide but the conversion missed so the score was now 3 – 12. The score was really due to some poor tackling. As the game progressed towards half time Eastleigh set up another attack which resulted in the third converted try taking the lead to 3 – 19. Again a result of poor or no tackling. A good run by prop Adam Parks-Dare saw Portsmouth take play into the visitors 22. A penalty against Eastleigh saw Morgan kick for touch giving Portsmouth a line-out 5 metres from the try line. Portsmouth secured the throw-in and set up a good catch and drive resulting in their first try scored by hooker Bradley Atkins. The score now stood at 10 – 19 after Morgans successful conversion. Aaron Beesley then came on to replace Dan Spencer on the back row. The half time whistle went shortly after.

    The second half started with Will Dalziel coming off to be replaced by Brad Jewer. Adam Parks-Dare also come off to be replaced by Liam Avis in the front row. Portsmouth were now beginning to play the style of rugby we wanted to see and a good run took them deep into the visitors half. Eastleigh then got penalised for not releasing after the tackle. From the resultant line-out Portsmouth lost possession but regained it to win another line-out. This time they were penalised for a crooked throw. A penalty against Portsmouth saw Eastleigh increase their lead to 10 – 22 after about 50 minutes. Portsmouth had a great opportunity to close the gap when a good run by Connor Charlton was carried on by Beesley but his final pass was not held and a golden chance went begging, A cross kick by Morgan just failed to find its target giving Eastleigh a 22 drop out. Another chance was missed when Portsmouth lost a line-out close to the Eastleigh try line, enabling them to clear their line. A penalty to Portsmouth saw Morgan place a good touch kick and this time they managed to hold on to the ball which was spun wide and across the pitch with some good inter-passing resulting eventually in Brad Jewer touching down close to the touch line. Morgan was again on target and the score was now 17 – 22. Most of the play was now being carried out in the Eastleigh half. From another Portsmouth line-out Beesley took the ball and crashed through the defence to score close to the posts giving Morgan a straightforward conversion. The score was now 24 – 22 and Portsmouth now had their noses in front, but only just. Lee Chandler then came off with cramp so Will Dalziel went back on in his place. Another good attack by Portsmouth resulted with the ball in Connor Charlton’s hand and he raced through to score out wide. Morgan was again on target and the lead was now 31- 22 and a bonus point for the 4th.try. It also took Eastleigh’s chance of a loosing bonus point away from them. There was still 2 or 3 minutes left so Portsmouth had to be aware not to give any penalties away and make sure their defence was solid. They managed to hold out to secure their 3rd win on the bounce and their 3rd. bonus point win.
    Portsmouth played much better in the second half, denying Eastleigh territory and the ball for good periods of play but they did leave at least 3 tries out there which mustn’t happen next week. No.9 Tom Sanderson was awarded MoM by Mo Twells who is sponsoring the award on home matches.
    This win sees them slip to 4th place on 15 points as Andover jump ahead of them on points difference but also on 15 points. Andover played Alton and ran out impressive winners 21 – 83. Portsmouth will certainly need to play much better than this next week if they want to keep their winning run going. It is obviously going to be a very hard fought game. Gosport & Fareham beat Bournemouth 2’s 40 – 23 and now move into 2nd place behind Petersfield.

    MoM Tom Sanderson


  • Weekend review 30th Sept/1st Oct

    By Simon Newsham

    On Saturday the First XV had a cracking 14 – 42 win at Alton, see Jim Dixons report on the news page.

    The Casuals entertained the Isle of Wight narrowly losing 27-32 with the final play of the match. Tries from Aaron Beasley, Ali Macdonald, Scott Weatherhead and Ryan Bosher.

    On Sunday The Valkyies were in RFU Intermediate Cup action against Hove who play in Womens Champion SE division two. This is a couple of steps higher up than our ladies. So you can imagine the delight of the Valks coming out on top 31-24 in  really close match. A brace of tries from wing Katie Wadeson, one each from Georgie Harris, Meg Jones and a first ever try for second row Amy Hanks was a highlight for the supporters. Two Conversions by Nancy Lismore and one from Chloe Stopard put the girls in the hat for the next round.  

    The Colts enjoyed a 33-22 win over Petersfield in a spirited encounter at Rugby Camp, they were in command for the majority of the game, I don’t have any scorers but well played to the lads.    

    In the junior section the U12’s made the short trip to Gosport and Fareham for a tournament. Blighted with absentees they had a tough day at the office losing all 4 pool games and unfortunately had to withdraw at the knock-out stage as the injuries mounted. The coach adds “There’s lots to work on at training on Wednesday and we will build from here”.

    The U13’s hosted Tottonians on Sunday morning ending up five points each in a hard fought match, Joshua Daniells impressed for the hosts as did Brayden Dewane, the coveted Donut of The Day was Jack Stoneman.

    In the afternoon the U14s also hosted Totts in their first home game of the season and a solid 66-5 victory in a hotly-contested match gave them their second win in a row. Amongst numerous try-scorers, player of the match Rory helped himself to four tries with the score being underlined by the excellent conversion kicking from Lenny.

    The U16s travelled to Basingstoke looking to make it two wins from two. Kick off was delayed to allow them to have a proper warm up after arriving late due to a motorway incident. The lads started well but conceded early points, however they stuck to their game plan and ran out 34-36 winners with two tries from Dylan Barnes (on his birthday) and one each for Sam Shepherd, Blake Kerley, Joe Cobby and Josh Witt, Pompeys player of the match was Charlie Bradrick. The win puts them in second place behind Tadley on points difference. 

     Next Saturday the 1sts host Eastleigh, there will be a pre-match lunch, if you’re thinking of coming along please contact Graham Medland or text on 07952 994352